Editing Blackboard Content Permissions
Reports have begun to surface of issues with students accessing uploaded course content, with some students seeing error messages in the Content Collection module in the course home page, and others indicating they cannot download files attached to a content area.
This video discusses the idea of file “permissions” and demonstrates how to add a read-only rule that allows students enrolled in the course to access course materials.
Applying a blanket read-only permissions rule to all course content
To complete this process, please do the following:
- Login to Blackboard;
- Click ‘Content Collection’ in the top menu options;
- In the table on the following page, click Courses;
- You will now see the list of courses you have access too;
- Locate the course in the following table, and click on the corresponding “hand & page” icon in the permissions column;
- The following page will display all permissions currently in place. Click ‘Select Specific Users by Place’ and then Click ‘Course’ from the drop down options;
- In the following page, tick the specific Course with the issue (section 1), student role (section 2), Read (section 3), Overwrite (section 4) and then click Submit (Image 5).
At this point, students should now have access to course content. Please ask them to double check to see if the issue has been resolved. If the issue persists it will be necessary to contact Service Desk and have someone investigate the matter further.
Editing Permissions on Individual Files
The above steps will result in you applying a blanket read-only rule to ALL files in your courses content collection. If there are files within this collection that you do NOT want visible to students, please do the following:
- Login to Blackboard and enter the course;
- From the Course Management Menu in the lower left hand corner of the screen, expand Content Collection;
- The first item in this area will be a numeric value – similar to 5114_123456; click on this to view your course material;
- In the following screen locate the file(s) you wish to restrict access to, and click on the corresponding hand & page icon in the permissions column;
- On the following screen, locate the permissions you wish to remove; tick the box immediately beside it and click Delete to complete the process.